Thursday, November 06, 2008

Shimmie

A while back I came across an open source php web application called Shimmie that stores and organizes images and other media similar to the danbooru engine.

I was looking for an organization app for photos at the time, and Google Picasa was not as flexible as I desired. Having first tried the recently opened danbooru engine, I found it difficult to even install the dependancy chain - Ruby, Rails, postgre, and some other things - I could get nothing working.

I'm not sure how I initially found Shimmie after that. Most likely it was some form of google search, and the dependancy chain was short and handled completely by the XAMPP apache package.

Anyway, Shimmie was as flexible as I wanted, but not exactly... complete. Being open source, I decided to dive into the code and change it around to my liking.

Been there ever since, contributing to the theme engine and trying to make useful extensions for the app.

Next few days, I'll start posting about some of the extensions and theme I've been working on.

2 comments:

  1. Just wanted to say I read about your experience with shimmie. ^_^

    I'm currently searching around for information and extensions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been a very long time since I did anything with shimmie. Still a good piece of software, though.

    Check shishnet.org for more information. There's forums, irc, git repositories, a bug tracker and a wiki. Between them you should be able to find answers to your questions.

    Though, for extensions, it may be better to learn php and write it yourself.

    ReplyDelete